Destination Addiction – A pre occupation with the idea that happiness is in the next place, job, partner and so on….
What can we do with a clean heart and a renewed spirit? God can change us but then what is out part?
The Bible is literally filled with instructions on how to live a good life.
Isaiah 55:3 says “Come to me with your ears wide open. Listen, and you will find life. I will make an everlasting covenant with you. I will give you all the unfailing love I promised to David.”
Come to me with your ears wide open! I love that!! This is what I wrote down when I read that verse.
How can I make my ears wide open?
- Be quiet
- Pay attention
- Talk less
- Listen more
I love Jesus and I am surrendered and I’m growing and changing everyday but I want to show everyone else the glory of God and I am going to have to be listening to do that.
I know it seems a little strange to say listen more when you want to share God’s glory but this works two ways.
- Be quiet so you can hear God. If our minds are here there and everywhere we will never hear anything. If your reading the Bible but thinking about the grocery list, that’s no good.
- Be quiet so you can hear other people reaching out for help. Listen to people. Hear them and respond thoughtfully not impulsively. Give God a chance to work on your heart and give you the right words to say.
1. We forgive because we have been forgiven
2. Be kind and tenderhearted, always
This verse makes me think about my own interactions with people. I like to say I am kind but there are so many times when I walk away from an interaction where I just feel icky about something I said or speaking when it really wasn’t necessary. I catch myself having judgmental thoughts and I really don’t like it. I am always quick to repent but I wish it would just stop. It is something I work on daily.
DO – be kind and helpful. Listen more talk less
STOP – judging and offering criticism
We are all so broken why would any of us ever think to give criticism instead of just kindness and love.
Goliath Must Fall by Louie Giglio Guys this book is just tremendous, stupendous and better than chocolate cake. I don’t know where to begin but if you are facing a giant in your life weather it be addiction or anger or anxiety or some other tormentor please read this book. It’s pure joy and love!Some notes I took:
- It’s important to talk about your giant with a group of trusted people.. confess it don’t conceal it
- We don’t have to fight with the giant.. Jesus is bigger than the giant
- When you believe that Jesus is bigger than whatever your facing it will start to change you.
- The giants can taunt us but Jesus always has the ultimate power
My giant has always been fear, anxiety and panic disorder. I have been fighting and battling it for so long and I know that it has kept me from being the person I am meant to be. It’s changing though and it’s all Jesus. I am praying and reading and learning and the more I do the closer he comes and the stronger I feel. Fear can not stand in the face of Jesus. I didn’t know this before but I do now and it changes everything!!
I was listening to a podcast this morning and something was said and it just hit me. Maybe God has me on hold because I am not being grateful for and appreciating all the good he has ALLREADY done in my life. I’m not ready for more good. I have a lot to learn yet. I have to learn to be joyful and happy now. Now with all that I have been blessed with. Not later… now.
My life is by no means perfect but it is beautiful. I have a wonderful family and kids. Great friends. An amazing church. So many things that I take for granted.
I’m getting it and that is enough. A little piece here and little bit there God is showing me, working on me and that is enough.
Have a great day!!
I have had my face stuffed in the Bible lately like it is a piece of chocolate cake. I just can’t get enough. I’m hungry for it. Some notes I’ve taken recently:
- Don’t worry about the correct way to reach out to God, just reach.
- Be merciful
- Acknowledge your need for Jesus
- Admit you don’t have the answers
- Take joy in doing God’s will
- God dislikes pretense and hypocrisy
- Do what is right
- God can change what seems unchangeable
- Christ can heal the broken, release addiction and heal emotional scars
- God uses ordinary people to do his extraordinary work
I can’t fully explain how much I want to read his word and know it and understand it and use it.
I can’t fully explain how much I want to have a relationship with Jesus that is undeniable.
I hope you all have a blessed day!
I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, Go throw yourself into the sea, and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. – Mark 11: 22-23
In small group this week we talked about this verse and how belief is important. How we doubt this truth.
I have been thinking about what my mountain is. I think first and foremost anxiety is my mountain. It has shaped every aspect of my life. It has controlled all my decisions for as long as I can remember. It has made me feel less valuable and unloveable.
I have been asking Jesus to help me move this mountain. I do believe it can be done. I have been feeling so confident the last few weeks. I still have moments of anxiety but I am quick to tell it to go throw itself into the sea. I have been more diligent about the words I speak to myself. I am making sure they are loving and faith filled.
I will not forget how God sees me. I won’t forget that I am a child of God and that he loves me.
I no longer what to be passive about my life and my anxiety. I want to grow and flourish in my life. This is what. I have learned about how to do this:
1. Feed on God’s word.
- Feed your faith and your fears will starve to death.
- Ask God to feed you from his word
- Ask God to confirm the way for you
2. Anticipate positive results
- Visualize the outcome you desire
- When you step out into fear be ready to stay there for awhile, things dont always happen instantly
3. Initiate action toward the desired end
- When you move God moves
- What are the changes you need to make
- What are your dreams for your life
4. Train in a specific area of need
- Learn what you want to know or change
5. Hate staying bound by your passivity
- Ask what is keeping you from God’s best for your life?
- Get to the point where you can’t stand where you are anymore
- Pray for a holy hatred of the things in your life that are holding you back
- Be sick and tired of being sick and tired
- Have faith
The Bible has a lot to say about the way you think and I had no idea about any of that. This is what I have learned.
1. Your responsible for your thoughts
- Are you going to believe God’s promises for your life?
- Are you going to continue to entertain your negative and fearful thoughts?
2. What you think about is what you get.
- You will reap in accordance with the thoughts you think
- Thinking shapes your feelings and actions
- Guilt and fear will sabatage you
- What thoughts are creating turmoil in your life?
3. You can change your life by changing your thoughts
- Your thoughts should be :
4. If you want God’s best you MUST take authority over your thoughts.
- The moment you catch yourself in a negative thought,yield to Jesus and surrender it to him
Guys, I love all of this so much!! This can be done. I have been doing it.
Have a blessed day all!
I have a trip coming up with some family and trips always cause me anxiety. The travel, the elevators, the taxis and so on. I always do ok but there is a lot of anxiety leading up to it. So….I’m in the shower this morning just minding my own business, washing my hair and snap all the sudden my neck is in a crink. Almost instantaneously I hear the word “STOP”
I knew immediately that this was no coincidence. I have been learning in church for 4 weeks now about how the power of our words and thoughts influences our lives. I was standing there washing my hair thinking about how I would navigate the elevators and the taxis, worrying and fretting.
So I did stop. I stopped worrying and thinking about it because I don’t need to. I had just momentarily forgot that I am a child of God. He is with me and he is going to always be with me because he loves me.
My thoughts should be on all things that are good, pure, noble and true. I have a long post to write about this and I will later.
Satan sneaks in on our thoughts without us even noticing. It has been happening to me all of my 46 years and I am just now becoming aware of it.
I thank the Holy Spirit for being there with me this morning, to alert me to the fact that I am not going to live that way anymore. A reminder. I am feeling so blessed and grateful today. My neck is fine by the way, not even the littlest of aches.
Have a blessed day all!!