What can we do with a clean heart and a renewed spirit? God can change us but then what is out part?
The Bible is literally filled with instructions on how to live a good life.
Isaiah 55:3 says “Come to me with your ears wide open. Listen, and you will find life. I will make an everlasting covenant with you. I will give you all the unfailing love I promised to David.”
Come to me with your ears wide open! I love that!! This is what I wrote down when I read that verse.
How can I make my ears wide open?
- Be quiet
- Pay attention
- Talk less
- Listen more
I love Jesus and I am surrendered and I’m growing and changing everyday but I want to show everyone else the glory of God and I am going to have to be listening to do that.
I know it seems a little strange to say listen more when you want to share God’s glory but this works two ways.
- Be quiet so you can hear God. If our minds are here there and everywhere we will never hear anything. If your reading the Bible but thinking about the grocery list, that’s no good.
- Be quiet so you can hear other people reaching out for help. Listen to people. Hear them and respond thoughtfully not impulsively. Give God a chance to work on your heart and give you the right words to say.
1. We forgive because we have been forgiven
2. Be kind and tenderhearted, always
This verse makes me think about my own interactions with people. I like to say I am kind but there are so many times when I walk away from an interaction where I just feel icky about something I said or speaking when it really wasn’t necessary. I catch myself having judgmental thoughts and I really don’t like it. I am always quick to repent but I wish it would just stop. It is something I work on daily.
DO – be kind and helpful. Listen more talk less
STOP – judging and offering criticism
We are all so broken why would any of us ever think to give criticism instead of just kindness and love.
Goliath Must Fall by Louie Giglio Guys this book is just tremendous, stupendous and better than chocolate cake. I don’t know where to begin but if you are facing a giant in your life weather it be addiction or anger or anxiety or some other tormentor please read this book. It’s pure joy and love!Some notes I took:
- It’s important to talk about your giant with a group of trusted people.. confess it don’t conceal it
- We don’t have to fight with the giant.. Jesus is bigger than the giant
- When you believe that Jesus is bigger than whatever your facing it will start to change you.
- The giants can taunt us but Jesus always has the ultimate power
My giant has always been fear, anxiety and panic disorder. I have been fighting and battling it for so long and I know that it has kept me from being the person I am meant to be. It’s changing though and it’s all Jesus. I am praying and reading and learning and the more I do the closer he comes and the stronger I feel. Fear can not stand in the face of Jesus. I didn’t know this before but I do now and it changes everything!!
Guys I have been praying like crazy for God to show me my purpose, to allow me to want what he wants for my life. I have been wanting this and wanting that. Want want want…
I was listening to a podcast this morning and something was said and it just hit me. Maybe God has me on hold because I am not being grateful for and appreciating all the good he has ALLREADY done in my life. I’m not ready for more good. I have a lot to learn yet. I have to learn to be joyful and happy now. Now with all that I have been blessed with. Not later… now.
My life is by no means perfect but it is beautiful. I have a wonderful family and kids. Great friends. An amazing church. So many things that I take for granted.
I’m getting it and that is enough. A little piece here and little bit there God is showing me, working on me and that is enough.
Have a great day!!
I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, Go throw yourself into the sea, and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. – Mark 11: 22-23
In small group this week we talked about this verse and how belief is important. How we doubt this truth.
I have been thinking about what my mountain is. I think first and foremost anxiety is my mountain. It has shaped every aspect of my life. It has controlled all my decisions for as long as I can remember. It has made me feel less valuable and unloveable.
I have been asking Jesus to help me move this mountain. I do believe it can be done. I have been feeling so confident the last few weeks. I still have moments of anxiety but I am quick to tell it to go throw itself into the sea. I have been more diligent about the words I speak to myself. I am making sure they are loving and faith filled.
I will not forget how God sees me. I won’t forget that I am a child of God and that he loves me.
I no longer what to be passive about my life and my anxiety. I want to grow and flourish in my life. This is what. I have learned about how to do this:
1. Feed on God’s word.
- Feed your faith and your fears will starve to death.
- Ask God to feed you from his word
- Ask God to confirm the way for you
2. Anticipate positive results
- Visualize the outcome you desire
- When you step out into fear be ready to stay there for awhile, things dont always happen instantly
3. Initiate action toward the desired end
- When you move God moves
- What are the changes you need to make
- What are your dreams for your life
4. Train in a specific area of need
- Learn what you want to know or change
5. Hate staying bound by your passivity
- Ask what is keeping you from God’s best for your life?
- Get to the point where you can’t stand where you are anymore
- Pray for a holy hatred of the things in your life that are holding you back
- Be sick and tired of being sick and tired
- Have faith
The Bible has a lot to say about the way you think and I had no idea about any of that. This is what I have learned.
1. Your responsible for your thoughts
- Are you going to believe God’s promises for your life?
- Are you going to continue to entertain your negative and fearful thoughts?
2. What you think about is what you get.
- You will reap in accordance with the thoughts you think
- Thinking shapes your feelings and actions
- Guilt and fear will sabatage you
- What thoughts are creating turmoil in your life?
3. You can change your life by changing your thoughts
- Your thoughts should be :
4. If you want God’s best you MUST take authority over your thoughts.
- The moment you catch yourself in a negative thought,yield to Jesus and surrender it to him
Guys, I love all of this so much!! This can be done. I have been doing it.
Have a blessed day all!
I find it really interestesting to go back and read my old journals. It really helps me to see where I was and what I have improved upon and where I still need to do some work. Here is my entry from:
December 14, 2016
I have attachment issues? Yes that is a question. I might. I am on a journey. I want to stop focusing so much on happiness and move toward being fulfilled. Happiness is fleeting. It comes and goes. It isn’t something that stays 24 hours a day. Fulfillment though, that can happen.
I say yes a lot when I really mean no. I think this comes from being raised in a home with drinkers. When you are a child and you are also the fixer you become an adult people pleaser. At least I did. What if I started asking myself these two questions. Am I able to? Do I want to? It is ok for me to say no. I am learning.
I have to hold myself accountable for my own fulfillment and focus on what I want and need. I want to be one of those people that doesn’t speak badly to themselves. Talk to yourself like you would a child, they say. It sounds so easy. It is not, trust me. I will work on this.
My house is an absolute cluttered disaster . It’s messy and I can’t seem to keep it clean. Yes I have two kids still at home but they are older and it shouldn’t be like this. I want my home to be a haven for me. A place I want to be because it is so beautiful and relaxing. That sounds so amazing. I am working on this too.
So…that was Dec 14. Less then a year ago. A couple of things since this that have happened.
I am no longer talking badly or negatively to myself. I mean it happens unconsciously but I am so much more aware of this.
My cluttered house got a big make over this summer. I got rid of so many things. There is still a long way to go but I did make some really good progress!
Here is what I have learned about how God sees us. So exciting!!
PRICELESS – We are priceless in God’s eyes because of the price that was paid for us.
MASTERPIECE – Ephesians 2:10 – For we are God’s workmanship,created In Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us.
RIGHTOUS – God see us as perfect, 100%, we are given an A+ no matter what. God will never see you as a screw up.
2 Corinthians 5:21 – God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.
AS A CHILD OF HIS OWN – Isn’t that amamzing? God sees me as his child.
So if this is how God sees us doesn’t that change everything? It does for me. It’s not some miraculous life changing moment but I do feel a bit lighter, a bit more free and little more at ease.
1. Church yesterday was baptism day. It’s my favorite. I can’t properly explain what it does to my heart to see these people make the decision to be baptized. It’s glorious and it fills me with such hope and happiness.
2. Have you ever just stopped and asked yourself what matters to me? What do I value? What does my ideal life look like in my mind?
3. Just because you think it, doesn’t mean it’s true. Examine your thoughts especially the ones that bring you down.