What can we do with a clean heart and a renewed spirit? God can change us but then what is out part?
The Bible is literally filled with instructions on how to live a good life.
Isaiah 55:3 says “Come to me with your ears wide open. Listen, and you will find life. I will make an everlasting covenant with you. I will give you all the unfailing love I promised to David.”
Come to me with your ears wide open! I love that!! This is what I wrote down when I read that verse.
How can I make my ears wide open?
- Be quiet
- Pay attention
- Talk less
- Listen more
I love Jesus and I am surrendered and I’m growing and changing everyday but I want to show everyone else the glory of God and I am going to have to be listening to do that.
I know it seems a little strange to say listen more when you want to share God’s glory but this works two ways.
- Be quiet so you can hear God. If our minds are here there and everywhere we will never hear anything. If your reading the Bible but thinking about the grocery list, that’s no good.
- Be quiet so you can hear other people reaching out for help. Listen to people. Hear them and respond thoughtfully not impulsively. Give God a chance to work on your heart and give you the right words to say.
1. We forgive because we have been forgiven
2. Be kind and tenderhearted, always
This verse makes me think about my own interactions with people. I like to say I am kind but there are so many times when I walk away from an interaction where I just feel icky about something I said or speaking when it really wasn’t necessary. I catch myself having judgmental thoughts and I really don’t like it. I am always quick to repent but I wish it would just stop. It is something I work on daily.
DO – be kind and helpful. Listen more talk less
STOP – judging and offering criticism
We are all so broken why would any of us ever think to give criticism instead of just kindness and love.
I have had my face stuffed in the Bible lately like it is a piece of chocolate cake. I just can’t get enough. I’m hungry for it. Some notes I’ve taken recently:
- Don’t worry about the correct way to reach out to God, just reach.
- Be merciful
- Acknowledge your need for Jesus
- Admit you don’t have the answers
- Take joy in doing God’s will
- God dislikes pretense and hypocrisy
- Do what is right
- God can change what seems unchangeable
- Christ can heal the broken, release addiction and heal emotional scars
- God uses ordinary people to do his extraordinary work
I can’t fully explain how much I want to read his word and know it and understand it and use it.
I can’t fully explain how much I want to have a relationship with Jesus that is undeniable.
I hope you all have a blessed day!
I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, Go throw yourself into the sea, and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. – Mark 11: 22-23
In small group this week we talked about this verse and how belief is important. How we doubt this truth.
I have been thinking about what my mountain is. I think first and foremost anxiety is my mountain. It has shaped every aspect of my life. It has controlled all my decisions for as long as I can remember. It has made me feel less valuable and unloveable.
I have been asking Jesus to help me move this mountain. I do believe it can be done. I have been feeling so confident the last few weeks. I still have moments of anxiety but I am quick to tell it to go throw itself into the sea. I have been more diligent about the words I speak to myself. I am making sure they are loving and faith filled.
I will not forget how God sees me. I won’t forget that I am a child of God and that he loves me.
I no longer what to be passive about my life and my anxiety. I want to grow and flourish in my life. This is what. I have learned about how to do this:
1. Feed on God’s word.
- Feed your faith and your fears will starve to death.
- Ask God to feed you from his word
- Ask God to confirm the way for you
2. Anticipate positive results
- Visualize the outcome you desire
- When you step out into fear be ready to stay there for awhile, things dont always happen instantly
3. Initiate action toward the desired end
- When you move God moves
- What are the changes you need to make
- What are your dreams for your life
4. Train in a specific area of need
- Learn what you want to know or change
5. Hate staying bound by your passivity
- Ask what is keeping you from God’s best for your life?
- Get to the point where you can’t stand where you are anymore
- Pray for a holy hatred of the things in your life that are holding you back
- Be sick and tired of being sick and tired
- Have faith
The Bible has a lot to say about the way you think and I had no idea about any of that. This is what I have learned.
1. Your responsible for your thoughts
- Are you going to believe God’s promises for your life?
- Are you going to continue to entertain your negative and fearful thoughts?
2. What you think about is what you get.
- You will reap in accordance with the thoughts you think
- Thinking shapes your feelings and actions
- Guilt and fear will sabatage you
- What thoughts are creating turmoil in your life?
3. You can change your life by changing your thoughts
- Your thoughts should be :
4. If you want God’s best you MUST take authority over your thoughts.
- The moment you catch yourself in a negative thought,yield to Jesus and surrender it to him
Guys, I love all of this so much!! This can be done. I have been doing it.
Have a blessed day all!
I have a trip coming up with some family and trips always cause me anxiety. The travel, the elevators, the taxis and so on. I always do ok but there is a lot of anxiety leading up to it. So….I’m in the shower this morning just minding my own business, washing my hair and snap all the sudden my neck is in a crink. Almost instantaneously I hear the word “STOP”
I knew immediately that this was no coincidence. I have been learning in church for 4 weeks now about how the power of our words and thoughts influences our lives. I was standing there washing my hair thinking about how I would navigate the elevators and the taxis, worrying and fretting.
So I did stop. I stopped worrying and thinking about it because I don’t need to. I had just momentarily forgot that I am a child of God. He is with me and he is going to always be with me because he loves me.
My thoughts should be on all things that are good, pure, noble and true. I have a long post to write about this and I will later.
Satan sneaks in on our thoughts without us even noticing. It has been happening to me all of my 46 years and I am just now becoming aware of it.
I thank the Holy Spirit for being there with me this morning, to alert me to the fact that I am not going to live that way anymore. A reminder. I am feeling so blessed and grateful today. My neck is fine by the way, not even the littlest of aches.
Have a blessed day all!!
1. Church yesterday was baptism day. It’s my favorite. I can’t properly explain what it does to my heart to see these people make the decision to be baptized. It’s glorious and it fills me with such hope and happiness.
2. Have you ever just stopped and asked yourself what matters to me? What do I value? What does my ideal life look like in my mind?
3. Just because you think it, doesn’t mean it’s true. Examine your thoughts especially the ones that bring you down.
1. Smile Breathe and go slowly – Thich Nhat Hanh
Great advise. This is how I am going to go through my day today.
I am about 93% done with this book and all I can say is run as fast as you can and buy it right now. I have laughed out loud so hard reading this book. It is hilarious and tender and smart. I love love love it with all my heart.
Have a great day!
1. Guys, how about if being flawed is wonderfully ok? Isn’t that at an amazing thing to ponder? I spend so much time looking at all the ways that I am not perfect but ignore all the wonderful things that I am and that I have accomplished. I work my tooshy off being a single mom, owning a home, having a job and trying to navigate life. It’s not easy. I’m tired but I am also doing it. It’s not perfect but it’s working out just fine.
2. Also…do you ever beat yourself up for saying something really stupid? I do. Sometimes the craziest shit just spews right off the vocal cords. I say it and then I am immediately like what the hell is wrong with you? Where did that dumb shit come from? Then….I will think about it for a really long time and at the most inappropriate times, like from 3-5am. Not good. Then this dawned on me. Have I ever been around someone else that has had the same problem, where their vocal cords take control and something really dumb comes out? Yes I have. Guess what? How long did I spend thinking about it? About 15 seconds. I don’t have time to be thinking about their accidental dumb thing said because I am too busy thinking about my own shit. So if I am correct here then no one is thinking about the stupid thing I said 3 months ago because they are also thinking about their own shit. This means that I can stop ruminating about these moments now. No one cares. Thank God.
3. Listen to your inner voice. I hear this a lot. I read this a lot. I am not sure I trust my inner voice. It changes its mind on a dime. Very frustrating. This feels right, do this, say this , go here ect… The next day: this doesn’t feel right, that was a bad idea, why did you do that? I am not sure that I am hearing the right inner voice. How do people know? Is it my ego? I can be very impulsive. I think I have two inner voices, the impulsive one and the real one. The impulsive one is a pain in my ass.
4. Examine what you tolerate. I believe that I tolerate a lot. I can put up with a lot of bullshit for a long time and then bam out of no where one day I will just be like. DONE. No warning or anything. It’s over. I am not doing this anymore. This can be excruciating for the other person because they are so used to you being like, “oh, it’s ok that you that you treat me like a piece of shit. I understand that you are hurting and all of this pain gets projected onto me. I know you don’t mean it.” I really do mean these things when I am saying them but really people how much can a person take? I should be giving them warning right? “Hey just so you know, I can take a lot of shit but this thing happens where I will wake up one day and I never no when it will happen and I won’t be able to take your shit anymore. Just so you know, you have been warned.” I seriously need help in the relationship area. It’s catastrophic.
5. What would I like more of? Peace, contentment and security. Oh, and a little beauty thrown in every once in awhile.
Have a great day!!