These are notes from the book Nothing to Prove by Jennie Allen
I am not enough and I am done trying to be.
We are not God. We do not have all the answers, strength, wisdom or energy.
I am not enough and that is absolutely Ok.
God is proud of you. He is not surprised by your list of sins or mistakes or shortcomings. He forgives you all of it when you confess to him and he never places a label on you. Your are not your mistakes. You are just his child.
1. Smile Breathe and go slowly – Thich Nhat Hanh
Great advise. This is how I am going to go through my day today.
I am about 93% done with this book and all I can say is run as fast as you can and buy it right now. I have laughed out loud so hard reading this book. It is hilarious and tender and smart. I love love love it with all my heart.
Have a great day!
1. Guys, how about if being flawed is wonderfully ok? Isn’t that at an amazing thing to ponder? I spend so much time looking at all the ways that I am not perfect but ignore all the wonderful things that I am and that I have accomplished. I work my tooshy off being a single mom, owning a home, having a job and trying to navigate life. It’s not easy. I’m tired but I am also doing it. It’s not perfect but it’s working out just fine.
2. Also…do you ever beat yourself up for saying something really stupid? I do. Sometimes the craziest shit just spews right off the vocal cords. I say it and then I am immediately like what the hell is wrong with you? Where did that dumb shit come from? Then….I will think about it for a really long time and at the most inappropriate times, like from 3-5am. Not good. Then this dawned on me. Have I ever been around someone else that has had the same problem, where their vocal cords take control and something really dumb comes out? Yes I have. Guess what? How long did I spend thinking about it? About 15 seconds. I don’t have time to be thinking about their accidental dumb thing said because I am too busy thinking about my own shit. So if I am correct here then no one is thinking about the stupid thing I said 3 months ago because they are also thinking about their own shit. This means that I can stop ruminating about these moments now. No one cares. Thank God.
3. Listen to your inner voice. I hear this a lot. I read this a lot. I am not sure I trust my inner voice. It changes its mind on a dime. Very frustrating. This feels right, do this, say this , go here ect… The next day: this doesn’t feel right, that was a bad idea, why did you do that? I am not sure that I am hearing the right inner voice. How do people know? Is it my ego? I can be very impulsive. I think I have two inner voices, the impulsive one and the real one. The impulsive one is a pain in my ass.
4. Examine what you tolerate. I believe that I tolerate a lot. I can put up with a lot of bullshit for a long time and then bam out of no where one day I will just be like. DONE. No warning or anything. It’s over. I am not doing this anymore. This can be excruciating for the other person because they are so used to you being like, “oh, it’s ok that you that you treat me like a piece of shit. I understand that you are hurting and all of this pain gets projected onto me. I know you don’t mean it.” I really do mean these things when I am saying them but really people how much can a person take? I should be giving them warning right? “Hey just so you know, I can take a lot of shit but this thing happens where I will wake up one day and I never no when it will happen and I won’t be able to take your shit anymore. Just so you know, you have been warned.” I seriously need help in the relationship area. It’s catastrophic.
5. What would I like more of? Peace, contentment and security. Oh, and a little beauty thrown in every once in awhile.
Have a great day!!
1. I’m a wreck. I’m exhausted, stressed, and worn out in every area of my life.
I dont know where to begin in getting my shit together but I am thankful that I am aware enough to know that I need to.
2. My mom is sick. She has Alzheimer’s and watching her go through this has humbled me and scared me in ways I never thought possible.
3. I’m 46 and single and all I can say about that is that when it comes to men I have absolutley no idea what I’m doing. I attract the wrong type of men and then I try to fix them and save them and turn them into exactly what I think they should be. For the love of God, this is at the top of the list. No more saving or trying to fix anyone. I have to fix me, work on me and basically all I can do for them is pray for them.
Happy Eclipse Day!!
It’s ok for you to say No More when someone is hurting you. You have that right. Do it kindly and then let it go. You don’t have to feel guilty and you are not responsible for what their response will be. Love yourself enough to know this.